CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA – More than 70% of wishes granted involve some sort of travel. The Wishes in Flight® program allows people to donate their unused airline miles to Make-A-Wish® Iowa, directly offsetting the cost of air travel for many wishes. Miles will be matched through Make-A-Wish America through August 31st, 2013.
People or companies interested in donating frequent flyer miles can go to https://flycid.com//www.eiairport.org/about-the-airport/donate-airline-miles/ to donate.
Tuesday, April 30th
The Eastern Iowa Airport
Rob Kelly, President & CEO, Make-A-Wish Iowa
Tim Bradshaw, Airport Director, The Eastern Iowa Airport
Heather Wilson, Director of Marketing & Communication, The Eastern Iowa Airport
Wish families who have traveled with Make-A-Wish
Corporations and individuals pledging their support to Make-A-Wish Iowa through the Wishes in Flight program
We want to spread awareness of the Wishes in Flight airline mileage donation program and recognize companies that are supporting Make-A-Wish through their donations. A significant matching grant through Make-A-Wish America has turned this campaign into a huge opportunity for Make-A-Wish Iowa. Make-A-Wish America will match each mile donated on our local website through August 31 up to 1 million miles!
Make-A-Wish Iowa grants the wishes of children with life threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. About 70% of wishes are travel wishes. Airline travel can often be the biggest expense of a trip. By donating airline miles, people are able to significantly offset the cost of wishes.
About Make-A-Wish Iowa:
- Grants a wish in Iowa every other day
- More than 2,700 wishes have been granted in Iowa since our first wish in 1987
- 169 wishes were granted in our last fiscal year
- The average wish costs us nearly $8,600 to grant
- More than 70% of our wishes involve some sort of travel
- State-wide organization with local committees throughout the state, including the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City areas
- Most wishes fall into one of four categories:
- To Go (travel…Walt Disney World® Resort, Hawaii, LegoLand, Australia)
- To Have (gift…outdoor playset, hot tub, room redo, computer, pet)
- To Be (occupational…train engineer, cartoonist, etc.)
- To Meet (celebrity wishes…athletes, television and movie stars, musicians)
- Wishes are granted to children with life-threatening medical conditions, not necessarily terminal.
We grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength, and joy.
More information is available on our web site
Communications & Grants Manager
(515) 577-0789 Jamier@iowa.wish.org
The Eastern Iowa Airport
Director of Marketing & Communication
(319) 731-5719 H.Wilson@crairport.org
# # #