The second annual Pulling for Honor fundraiser for local, non-profit organization Eastern Iowa Honor Flight (EIHF) will be held July 15 at The Eastern Iowa Airport (CID) in Cedar Rapids Iowa.
Teams of 25 will compete to see who can pull a FedEx 757 jet 12 feet the fastest. The 2016 Pulling for Honor event was the first ever for Eastern Iowa, raising more than $38,000 to send local veterans to Washington D.C. so they can visit war memorials built to honor their service.
To date, EIHF has organized 28 flights from CID. Each flight costs around $83,000, providing a free flight to each veteran on board.
There are 25 teams scheduled to pull Saturday. Entry to the event is FREE.
Gate opens at 8 a.m., opening ceremony at 8:45 a.m. and the first team starts pulling at 9 a.m.
The event venue is at 3435 Beech Way, west of the airport’s main entrance.
Look for “event parking” signs along Wright Brothers Blvd to direct you to the venue entrance.
Other activities include:
- The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter 33 will provide free flights to children 8-17 years old as part of its Young Eagles program.
- Aircraft static displays
- Kid Zone
- Special beer offering from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company of Decorah. Toppling Goliath, which won a “World Best” award from RateBeer for its Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout in 2015, is planning to serve a variety of beer including; Pompeii IPA, Dorothy’s Lager, Pseudo Sue Pale Ale, Rover Truck Oatmeal Stout and Tsunami Pale Ale.
- JUST ADDED – Silent auction for special Toppling Goliath package that includes the following:
- 2x 22oz bottles of 2016 Assassin – Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
- 1x 12oz bottle of 2016 Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout – Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout with Maple Syrup and Coffee
- 1x Assassin glass
- 1x Kentucky Brunch Glass
A portion of all proceeds will be donated to EIHF.